[Samba] Inexplicable rejection of credentials

Paul D. DeRocco pderocco at ix.netcom.com
Thu Aug 29 15:27:18 MDT 2013

I have a Windows home network with a bunch of Windows boxes and two Ubuntu
boxes. Everything can access shares on everything else, with one
exception: no one can get to the one share on the second Ubuntu box which
I just added to the system.

All my machines have one user account (admin privileges in Windows) with
the name "pauld" and the same password. In an effort to solve this problem
on the second Ubuntu box, I even copied the smb.conf file from the first
Ubuntu box and edited its "netbios name" parameter. The only difference I
can see in the configuration of the two boxes is the different computer
names, which are reflected both in their hostnames and their netbios
names. Oh, and I've rebooted everything several times.

Yet when I attempt to access the sole share on this machine, either from a
Windows machine or from the other Ubuntu box, it rejects the
username/password. (One difference: Windows boxes fail on trying to open
the machine; the older Ubuntu box can see open the machine and see the
share name, but fail on trying to open the share. Dunno if that means
anything.)

For reference, here's the smb.conf from the offending machine:

---
[global]
    workgroup = WORKGROUP
    netbios name = BUILD
    server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)
    dns proxy = no
    name resolve order = bcast wins
    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    max log size = 1000
    syslog = 0
    encrypt passwords = true
    passdb backend = tdbsam
    obey pam restrictions = yes
    unix password sync = yes
    passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
    passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
    pam password change = yes
    map to guest = bad user
    usershare allow guests = yes
[printers]
    comment = All Printers
    browseable = no
    path = /var/spool/samba
    printable = yes
    guest ok = no
    read only = yes
    create mask = 0700
[print$]
    comment = Printer Drivers
    path = /var/lib/samba/printers
    browseable = yes
    read only = yes
    guest ok = no
[all]
    comment = Everything
    read only = no
    path = /
    browsable = yes
    create mask = 755
---

Most of this stuff was created automatically by installing Samba, so I
don't really know what it means, or even if it's necessary. I stripped out
all the comments, and manually added the [all] share at the end. (And I
don't need any lectures about providing write access to root, please.) The
ONLY difference between this file and the one on the working Ubuntu
machine is the netbios name.

There are no other mysterious files in /etc/samba that could be confusing
things. No logs in /var/log/samba show any failures. So my general
question is: how do I fix this? And a more specific question is: is there
any other file somewhere that could be getting into the act, and screwing
this machine up? If there isn't an answer forthcoming, how about this: how
do I go about debugging this?

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco
Paul                mailto:pderocco at ix.netcom.com