[Samba] nslcd / pam_ldap HowTo

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Thu Aug 29 06:11:14 MDT 2013

On Thu, 2013-08-29 at 13:08 +0200, Marc Muehlfeld wrote:

> I think most companies running Samba in production don't use the latest
> versions of everything, because they run enterprise distributions like
> RHEL, SLES, Debian, etc.
>
> At work we only run self compiled software, when there's a requirement
> for that, because everything that isn't updated through the paket
> manager, is extra work

Not everyone has the luxury of being able to take hardware for granted.
Most of us have to make do with what we have. E.g. running a Samba
domain in a school of 600 students with 80 10 year old machines is
simply impossible with old versions of software.

As far as AD is concerned, it is unfortunate that Red Hat have decided
to retain the 0.7 series of nss-pam-ldapd. Everyone else has at least
0.8.10, the one where AD compatibility was addressed.

Thanks for inviting comments. I think that by doing so, you are in a
strong position to produce a howto that will be accurate, useful and
above all, doable.