[Samba] "groups" command not working as expected

Chris Alavoine chrisa at acs-info.co.uk
Wed Aug 28 09:17:47 MDT 2013

Hi all,

I can't seem to figure this one out.

I have a test rig Samba 4 VM up and running nicely. Have imported my old
Samba 3 directory and am using nslcd to get users and groups back to *nix.

I have a perl login script which generates on-the-fly .bat scripts per user
as they login using the root preexec and postexec commands in my smb.conf
(which worked out of the box with Samba 4 surprisingly).

My current issue is that I use the "groups user.name" command to list what
groups that user is a member of. This is then parsed into my batch script
and the users and mapped drives accordingly.

The groups command appeared to be working ok, but I've just noticed that
any changes I make to existing or new users aren't passed to the groups
command. getent group and getent passwd still work ok but neither of these
can list a users' groups in the manner that I need.

Can anyone suggest an alternative method or a fix for the groups problem?

Thanks in advance.

Chris.

--
ACS (Alavoine Computer Services Ltd)