[Samba] PDC: System SID missing / inconsistent with domain SID

Eric Shubert ejs at shubes.net
Mon Aug 26 20:57:19 MDT 2013

On 08/26/2013 01:21 PM, Eric Shubert wrote:
> I'm guessing that adding a TACS-DC record to the old host would fix the
> problem of not being able to get its SID.

This appears to work now.

> I'm also guessing that adding a LANYARD record to the new host *might*
> make it recognize that it's a domain controller. I hope to test this
> later today, when users are gone.

This didn't appear to help. The new DC still doesn't recognize itself as
a DC:
# net rpc trustdom list -U shubes
Unable to find a suitable server for domain R3I
Couldn't connect to domain controller: NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL
#

I do have the SID of the domain/host that was created by this host. I
wonder if restoring those records in secrets.tdb, then using the net
command to change the SID of the domain and host might fix things up.
Does the net setdomainsid command do anything more than change the value
of the record in the tdb file? If it does, that could be a solution.

Anyone have any insight about how to go about changing the host name of
a domain controller (while migrating it)?

Thanks.

--
-Eric 'shubes'