[Samba] chmod + remote save denied = file wiped?

Kevin Field kev at brantaero.com
Tue Aug 20 09:23:06 MDT 2013

I have a SerNet Samba 4.0.8 AD DC running on CentOS 6.4 (newdc)
replicating from a W2K3 DC (olddc).  newdc also has a test share.

I'm experiencing something strange whereby chmod and then an attempted
file save causes a shared file to become zero bytes (despite the save
not being blank, and also being denied):

At olddc:

1) open \\newdc\testshare\yay.txt

At newdc:

$ ls -l
total 8
-rw-rw-rw-. 1 me  me  9 Aug 20 10:59 yay.txt
$ cat yay.txt
It works!$ chmod 664 yay.txt

At olddc:

1) add a space to yay.txt and attempt to save.  popup:

---------------------------
TextPad
---------------------------
Access to \\newdc\testshare\yay.txt was denied.
---------------------------
OK
---------------------------

2) (optional) click OK to close the popup

At newdc*:

$ ls -l
total 4
-rw-rw-r--. 1 kev kev 0 Aug 20 11:12 yay.txt

* Alternatively, without touching newdc, I can shift focus from the
TextPad window and back to it, and it will say that the file has
changed.  If I choose to reload it, it's now blank.

Isn't this a bug?  I would expect a write that fails due to lack of
write permissions to not actually affect the content of the file.

Thanks,
Kev