[Samba] Problem to demote samba4 dc

Davy HUBERT davy.hubert at univ-montp3.fr
Fri Aug 16 04:19:45 MDT 2013

Hello Andrew,

Sorry for waiting so long to answer you but I would like to be sure to
try every thing before.

So, I tried to shut down samba and follow the procedure to remove a
failed DC, but I when shut down samba my windows DC failed saying me
that the domain could not be found when i launched any AD tool (ADUC or
Sites and services...).

Then, I tried to do it with samba online (thinking there was maybe a dns
trick), but it seems that my Windows DC miss something and again i have
got this message "the domain could not be found".

So well, I decided to keep going on and clean any reference of the samba
server every where : in directory first using a metadata cleanup through
ntdsutil and then in dns manually, but my domain still failed.

It seems that windows can't sync something that samba holds but i can't
figure out what.

I'm stuck at this point now.

Best regards,

Davy HUBERT