[Samba] Samba4 and iptables

Kevin Field kev at brantaero.com
Thu Aug 15 08:36:33 MDT 2013

Hi everyone,

I had posted recently about getting Samba4 to work on CentOS 6.4 but
having changes only replicating in one direction, from the Win2k3 AD but
not back to it.  I solved the problem, this time, by disabling iptables.
  I find it a bit hard to understand.  These are the rules I have set up:

*filter
:INPUT ACCEPT [0:0]
:FORWARD ACCEPT [0:0]
:OUTPUT ACCEPT [52:5888]
-A INPUT -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -p icmp -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -p tcp -m state --state NEW -m tcp --dport 22 -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -m udp -p udp --dport 53 -m comment --comment "DNS" -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -m udp -p udp --dport 123 -m comment --comment "NTP" -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -m udp -p udp --dport 135 -m comment --comment "RPC UDP" -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -m udp -p udp --dport 389 -m comment --comment "LDAP UDP" -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 88 -m comment
--comment "Kerberos" -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 464 -m comment
--comment "Kerberos Password Management" -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 445 -m comment
--comment "SMB CIFS" -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 389 -m comment
--comment "LDAP TCP" -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 636 -m comment
--comment "LDAP SSL" -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 3268 -m comment
--comment "LDAP Global Catalog" -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 3269 -m comment
--comment "LDAP Global Catalog SSL" -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -p udp -m udp --dport 631 -m comment --comment "CUPS" -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 631 -m comment --comment "CUPS" -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-host-prohibited
-A FORWARD -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-host-prohibited
COMMIT

Additionally, I used to have -s 10.0.0.0/8 on all of the samba-related
ones, but then I couldn't connect to the new DC via the Windows AD Users
and Computers tool.  Take away -s, and it works.  So the above is now
what I have, but when iptables is enabled, I get "Warning: No NC
replicated for Connection!" on outbound when I run "samba-tool drs
showrepl" and I get errors like this in Windows Event Viewer:

Event Type:	Warning
Event Source:	NTDS KCC
Event Category:	Knowledge Consistency Checker
Event ID:	1925