[Samba] "Failed to find a writeable DC for domain" joining to win2k3 AD DC

Kevin Field kev at brantaero.com
Wed Aug 14 21:14:13 MDT 2013

Sorry, I didn't realize we were carrying on off-list.  Figured it
out--had been giving samba-tool the hostname for both domain and realm,
rather than, hmm, the domain and realm.  (I think because in my case my
domain and realm have two parts, unlike the HOWTO where they have
three...confusion.)  Works great now!  Even without the new DC in
resolv.conf nor "domain ..." in there either, just "search ..." and
"nameserver [olddc]".  Thanks for your help Daniel, hope this point
helps someone else too.