[Samba] [CIFS] mount error(13): Permission denied

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 8 22:20:26 MDT 2013

This is from

	mount <mountpoint>

on openSUSE 13.1m3 running 3.10.1 desktop kernel. The mountpoint and fstab
entries are identical and working in openSUSE 12.3 on same system. I just
spent several hours on IRC and elsewhere trying to figure this out before
thinking to try booting something other than 13.1. :-(

Fstab entry (redacted):
//HOST/share /mountpoint cifs
guest,nounix,uid=####,gid=####,dir_mode=0777,file_mode=0664,noauto 0 0

The host is a Linux satellite receiver, running kernel 3.3.1 and sambaserver
3.0.37-r8. It's configuration options are crippled. Security = user seems not
to be an option, but since the device runs on FOSS and there is no manual,
whether that is in fact the case is unclear. I simply haven't been able to
make it work except with security = share.

A developer on IRC told me how to get extra debug info:
http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Linux/messages-suse131CIFSfailure7proc-fs-cifs-cifsFYI.txt

He said it smells like regression/fallout from removal of security = share
and will look at it more after sleeping. Anyone else want to comment? Is this
the right place to discuss?

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/