[Samba] Joining DC

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Aug 4 22:03:12 MDT 2013

On Fri, 2013-08-02 at 13:58 +1000, Alex Ferrara wrote:
> I am having some trouble joining a new samba4 server as a DC. I am pretty sure this stems from trying to use OpenChange and subsequently removing it. The new samba4 machine is running 4.0.7 and the existing is running 4.0.1. I am a little hesitant to do an in-place upgrade of the last working DC, so I wanted a replica to fall back on in case things go bad.

> On the existing DC logs
>
> [2013/08/02 13:53:04,  0] ../source4/rpc_server/drsuapi/getncchanges.c:220(get_nc_changes_build_object)
>   ../source4/rpc_server/drsuapi/getncchanges.c:220: Failed to find attribute in schema for attrid 2786216 mentioned in replPropertyMetaData of CN=Recipient Update Service (DOMAIN)\0ADEL:cbf078d9-a0ff-4609-a05b-743816af619d,CN=Deleted Objects,CN=Configuration,DC=domain,DC=local

This is really interesting.  We are fighting with this in our automated
testing, but we assumed it was due to runtime schema changes.  Presuming
you have restarted Samba since the last schema change, this points as a
more sinister issue.

Can you take a clone of this sever, and on an isolated network upgrade
this to git master, and try to join another git master server to it?

If that fails in the same way, we may wish to get a dump of this object
(and potentially the database via a secure route) so we can investigate
further.

Thanks,

Andrew Bartlett

--