[Samba] XP network breaks when shares are accessed by Fedora 19 smbclient

How_F19 how0909 at freeshell.org
Sun Aug 4 07:24:52 MDT 2013

Hi. This is my first samba install.

I have an XP box which connects to internet via dialup "DUN", is the
base of the lan and provides InternetConnectionSharing to the lan.

The XP lan base is 192.168.0.0 and the XP user "Owner" is on 192.168.0.1
and hostname is "WILLY".

My Fedora 19 laptop on 192.168.0.148 with hostname "splurge.f19".

I am having problems from the start using smbclient.

When I do a listing of WILLY I get this:

~>  smbclient -L WILLY
Enter how2's password:
Domain=[WILLY] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

         Sharename       Type      Comment
         ---------       ----      -------
         My Documents    Disk
         BrotherH        Printer   HL-2240
         IPC$            IPC       Remote IPC
         SharedDocs      Disk
         print$          Disk      Printer Drivers
         D- CD Player    Disk
         downloads       Disk
         Printer         Printer   HP PSC 1500 series
Domain=[WILLY] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

         Server               Comment
         ---------            -------

         Workgroup            Master
         ---------            -------

The output looks OK for WILLY, downloads is a share and all.

-But- th problem is that as that is printing it pauses for 1-2 minutes
after the "Domain=" line at which time the XP box pops up an alert box
that says:

"Generic host process for win32 services has encountered a problem and
needs to close."

At this point I can ping 192.168.0.1 from F19 but I can no longer use
ping an outside internet name addresses use Firefox or Thunderbird from F19.

But for a short time I can ping or browse a numeric ip address. So it
seems that DNS is broken at that point but then that deteriorates and I
can not do that either.
At that point I can not "Disconnect" XP DUN.

Rebooting the XP machine fixes the problem but will fail if I try again.

Ok, so now it gets weird.
The above is when I am "dialed up" on the XP box.

If I am NOT dialed up I get the output below.
It does NOT show the XP shares !!!
but DOES show my F19 /home/how2 (how2) and /home/share (Share) shares as
defined in my /etc/samba/smb.conf:

~>   smbclient -L WILLY
Enter how2's password:
Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 4.0.6]

         Sharename       Type      Comment
         ---------       ----      -------
         IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Samba Server Version 4.0.6)
         Share           Disk
         Brother-HL-2240-series Printer   Brother HL-2240 series
         how2            Disk      Home Directories
Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 4.0.6]

         Server               Comment
         ---------            -------
         LOCALHOST            Samba Server Version 4.0.6
         WILLY                Willly's old Dell Celeron 2.4ghz 256mb ram

         Workgroup            Master
         WORKGROUP            LOCALHOST

If I dialup at this point nameserver is good across lan.
But if try the smbclient -L  I will get the same behavior and error.

It seems to me that the problem is on the XP box but I don't know what
to do there.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.