[Samba] UIDs/GIDs Mapping and Permissions in Samba

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 06:45:18 MDT 2013

I have never quite got uid/gid consistency working with member
servers.      My domain controllers use an LDAP backend so they don't
have an issue.   All the unix uid and gid is also in LDAP.     This
keeps file permissions correct on the member servers when accessing from
windows clients.  However you can NOT manage the file permissions from
windows.  The existing permissions show up in windows a "Unix\someuser"
or "unix\somegroup."    If you try to change permissions or add a domain
user, the permissions don't stick. This limits the flexibility of member
servers since users can only change permissions via a unix session.

This has been with samba 3.4.x and 3.5.x.   My understanding of the
documentation is that samba should be able to use the unix uid/gid info
to create a consistent sid-to-uidNumber and sid-to-gidNumber mapping
but that hasn't been the case for me. I have tried to configure the
member servers to look up the id mapping info from the PDC ldap server
in read only mode-  haven't got it working set but I think this is the
way to go.