[Samba] Update DNS Records When Client IP Changes

Zane Zakraisek doublezane at gmail.com
Tue Apr 30 17:30:28 MDT 2013

I recently changed my entire DHCP setup around causing all my clients to
receive new IP addresses. I was running it so that all the clients used
DHCP, but the DHCP server was issuing out preferred addresses, so basically
none of the client's addresses ever changed. When I changed my DHCP setup I
did away with the preferred addresses setup and now all my clients are
issued IP addresses at random. The problem is that the Samba 4.0.5 server
(running the internal DNS server) still has all the old A records for the
old addresses. I was under the impression that the entries (since they were
created automatically when the computer joined the domain) were dynamic and
changed if the client's IP address changed. Thats how it was when I ran
Server 2008 R2. Is this not the case in Samba?