[Samba] Dynamic DNS u­pdates not working with B­IND DLZ

Stephen Jones lloydsystems at fastmail.com.au
Sat Apr 27 20:51:20 MDT 2013

Hi Lucas,

Thanks for the suggestion but, unfortunately, it's not that.  I am
aware of the kerberos sensitivity to time differences.  When I
installed Samba4 I built a custom ntp rpm as the version shipped with
RHEL/CentOS does not support signed ntp.  I tested this by shifting the
clock on the client and it worked its way back again.

Out of interest I decided to try this again, some months after the
initial install.  My laptop's clock was about 10 sec off the DC.  I
changed it to 2 min, and it stays there.  Running 'w32tm /resync
/rediscover' just reports "no time data was available".

So I actually have 2 problems.  Dynamic dns updates, that DID work
before, now do not, and ntp updates, that DID work before, now also do
not.  Nothing has changed on the server with dns or ntp configuration.
 There is only the upgrade of Samba from 4.0.0 to 4.0.1.

It would seem that there is some problem with kerberos that the signed
requests fail.  Yet I can use kinit to authenticate and get a valid
ticket.  Kerberos is buried inside Samba so I have no idea what is
wrong with it and why, nor do I have any idea how to fix it.

I have trawled the web for hours on this.  I read plenty of similar
problems, but no solutions other than the obvious stuff I already
checked.  It's really very frustrating.

Regards,

Stephen Jones