[Samba] Samba4 and idmap backend (ad/rid)

Rowland Penny rpenny at f2s.com
Thu Apr 25 07:36:44 MDT 2013

On 25/04/13 14:11, Jaymzwise Jaymzwise wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I eventually managed to install and join a Samba4 server as a member in an
> AD environment but I have a problem with the id command.
> wbinfo commands work but when I launch id command with a domain user I get
> "user unknown".
>
> Here is my smb.conf (Took from Samba Wiki) :
>
> idmap config *:backend = tdb
>     idmap config *:range = 70001-80000
>     idmap config MYDOMAINNAME:backend = ad
>     idmap config MYDOMAINNAME:schema_mode = rfc2307
>     idmap config MYDOMAINNAME:range = 500-40000
>
>     winbind nss info = rfc2307
>     winbind trusted domains only = no
>     winbind use default domain = yes
>     winbind enum users  = yes
>     winbind enum groups = yes
>
> If I replace "idmap config MYDOMAINNAME:backend = ad" by "idmap config
> MYDOMAINNAME:backend = rid", id command works well. Why id command doesn't
> work with ad backend ?
>
> Thanks.
Hi, what version of samba4 did you use? reason is, before 4.0.5 winbind
required the posix objectclasses posixAccount & posixGroup, these are no
longer required. But having said that, forget winbind and use sssd, it
is easier to use, have a look here:
http://linuxcostablanca.blogspot.com.es/2013/04/sssd-in-samba-40.html

Rowland

believed to be clean.