[Samba] Samba4: W2k clients cannot set / sync time with samba4 AD DC

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Apr 25 01:57:33 MDT 2013

On Thu, 2013-04-25 at 11:47 +0400, ?icro MEGAS wrote:
> As a follow-up to this thread
> (https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2013-April/172892.html) I have
> created an extra topic, because this is related only to NTP/time sync.
>
> I have done some more tests on this topic, as this really hurts and I
> wouldn't be able to migrate to samba4 in productional environment.

I keep saying that I can't even give you speculation without a packet
capture.  That means a PCAP format file.

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Capture_Packets

I also don't understand why you can't use any number of other tools
(such as free NTP clients or forcing the NTP server with a script or
policy) to set the time for this specific deployment.

You keep asking about this, but you also keep not providing the specific
information that has been requested.  This makes it hard to help you,
even in this most extreme of deployment situations.

Finally, I would ask that you help yourself:

08:28:00.436507 IP 172.16.200.66.3557 > samba4srv.mysite.com.ntp: NTPv2,
Client, length 68
08:28:00.436576 IP samba4srv.mysite.com > 172.16.200.66: ICMP samba4srv
.mysite.com udp port ntp unreachable, length 104

Is the NTP server set up correctly?  If the clients can't contact the
NTP server, then it doesn't surprise me that they can't use it.

Andrew Bartlett