[Samba] Strange DNS results

Steve Thompson smt at vgersoft.com
Wed Apr 24 13:17:13 MDT 2013

On Wed, 24 Apr 2013, Marc Muehlfeld wrote:

> Am 23.04.2013 23:49, schrieb Steve Thompson:
>> The results for looking up dc-2 are correct on all client hosts. The
>> results for looking up dc-1 are incorrect on all client hosts.
>
> I don't have an idea what could be wrong. But maybe you can find out more, if
> you enable debugging for the bind DLZ module:
> [...]

Hi Marc,

Many thanks for your comments. I wasn't able to determine where the
phantom IP addresses were coming from in a reasonable amount of time, but
I was able to delete them via nsupdate. Fortunately, everything returned
to normal functioning. I currently have 176 machines, mostly Linux using
sssd, bound to the domain, and they were getting distinctly unhappy. I
have a separate test domain which I will experiment on as time allows.

One thing that I have discovered while debugging is that if additional IP
addresses are added to a DC, samba_dnsupdate happily consumes them and
they appear in DNS in short order. However, when the IP addresses are
removed, samba_dnsupdate does not remove them again, and clients continue
to try lookups to IP's that don't exist any more :-(

Steve