[Samba] Breaking up user homes by letter

Christopher Horsager horsager at cord.edu
Mon Apr 22 15:45:15 MDT 2013

Hi,

I've been digging all over and I can't seem to find an answer to this.

Is there a way to have Samba assign home  directory paths by the first
letter of a username and then the actual username underneath? Like this:

/Users/j/Johnson

If I can, is there a way for Samba to also still direct the user right into
that folder if in Windows they were to enter \\sbmserver\username
<file:///\\sbmserver\username> ?

I'm just trying to separate out the home directories as this may possibly be
used by 1000+ at once and I'm worried about performance having all the homes
in one directory.

Chris