[Samba] Rsyncing Samba4 Roaming Profiles between servers

Rob Beard rob at mareandfoal.org
Mon Apr 22 03:24:26 MDT 2013

On 17/04/2013 16:32, Rob Beard wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I've got a bit of an issue with roaming profiles and I wondered if someone
> might be able to help please? :-)
>
> We've started rolling out Samba 4 across our network.  Currently it's on 3
> of our 4 sites, one site has two Samba servers and two sites have one Samba
> server each (well one site has two Samba 4 servers but one of the servers
> was an oldish test box which I'm planning on removing from AD when I can
> work out how to, but that's a separate issue).
>
> I've managed to get roaming profiles working for the users on each site.
> Each user is currently configured to store their roaming profile on the
> server on the site that they're based at.  This seems to work pretty well
> with our Windows 7 clients and the users are happy that they can now login
> to any PC and get their desktop icons etc.
>
> Now my boss would like the ability to be able to login to a PC on a remote
> site (as in, not the site where his roaming profile is stored) and have the
> profile available.  It seems to work without making any changes but it is
> quite slow logging on and off (I put this down to the fairly slow ADSL
> links we have between the sites).
>
> I was giving the issue some thought and tried creating a test user and
> changing the profile path to %logonserver%\profiles\user.name which when
> logging on created a profile on the logon server of whichever site I was
> at.
>
> However, I tried then rsyncing this profile across from one server at one
> site to another server (I've also tried it between two servers on the same
> site) but the permissions seem to get corrupted...
>
> If I look at the permissions in a Linux terminal I get the following...
>
> Output from ls -lh on Server 1:
> drwxrwx---+ 14 3000060 users 4.0K Apr 17 16:15 charles.carmichael.V2
>
> Output from ls -lh on Server 2:
> drwxrwx---+ 14 3000060 users 4.0K Apr 17 16:15 charles.carmichael.V2
>
> So the permissions look okay to me unless I'm missing something.
>
> If I check the permissions of the two profile folders in Windows 7 I get
> the following:
>
> Server 1 Permissions:
>
> SYSTEM - Full Control
> Charles.Carmichael - Full Control
>
> Server 2 Permissions:
>
> Everyone - None
> RANDOMPC$ - Full Control
> Random Group - Full Control
> Domain Users - None
> CREATOR OWNER - Special
> CREATOR GROUP - Special
>
> On Server 1 the owner is the user of the profile, on Server 2 the owner is
> RANDOMPC$.
>
> Both Server 1 and Server 2 are running Samba 4.0.3, Debian Squeeze AMD64
> with the kernel 2.6.32-5-amd64.  If it helps the filesystems are ext4 and
> have the options user_xattr,acl,barrier=1 in fstab.
>
> What we'd like to do is run an rsync overnight and copy the differences
> between the servers, but as we're coming across these issues we're a bit
> [...]

Hi folks,

Further to Ricky's reply, I've had a look at the xattr's and acl's of
the profiles folder after running an rsync with the -p, -A and -X switches.

Checking the permissions on both servers they appear to be the same, the
have the same owner and groups.  Having checked the acls and xattrs they
match on both servers.

I've restarted Samba on the second server after rsyncing to it and
checked the permissions again but I'm still getting the incorrect
permissions :-(

I wondered if there might be anywhere I can check where the permissions
might be stored?

Ta,

Rob