[Samba] Winbind and User Private Groups

Jacob Seeley jseeley at vertitechit.com
Fri Apr 19 13:54:49 MDT 2013

Hello,

I'm doing R&D on using Winbind to authenticate Active Directory users (W2K3S R2) on RHEL 6 servers. I have a working implementation of this using idmap_rid as the backend. I followed 'configuration 1' in the following guide:

http://www.redhat.com/rhecm/rest-rhecm/jcr/repository/collaboration/jcr:system/jcr:versionStorage/ae40084d0a052601783f1ea42715cdef/26/jcr:frozenNode/rh:resourceFile

My question revolves around 'User Private Groups'. I noticed my AD users UID's do not have matching GID's. I came across the following:

http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/groupmapping.html#id2596644

This seems to indicate I cannot implement UPG because Windows will not allow user and groups of the same name.

>From an administrative point of view, how do I handle this? Should I be concerned about this? How will a non UPG setup be different for us Linux users who are accustomed to having private groups? Essentially, I'm trying to avoid any unforeseen pitfalls as a result of not having UPGs.

Thank you,

--
Jacob Seeley