[Samba] file share necessary?

Geoff Crompton geoffc at trinity.unimelb.edu.au
Sun Apr 14 22:21:47 MDT 2013

On 15/04/13 14:07, Marc Muehlfeld wrote:
> Am 15.04.2013 04:23, schrieb Geoff Crompton:
>> On
>> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_AD_DC_HOWTO#Setup_a_basic_File_Share
>>
>> the instructions says
>>
>> For the server to be useful you, will need to update it to have at
>> least one share
>>

>> What do you need a file share for the server to be useful? Isn't a
>> domain controller 'useful' to authenticate machines and users even if it
>> doesn't have a file share? I would have thought that this step would be
>> optional, like the NTP step just above it.
>
> The DC need at least a sysvol and netlogon share.
>

> Regards,
> Marc

That makes sense. If you've followed the HOWTO (as I just have) you
probably already have sysvol and netlogon shares. Does anyone mind if I
mark the 'Setup a basic File Share' as optional, and add some notes that
the sysvol and netlogon shares are needed for a domain controller, but
users should feel free to add their own if they desire?

Cheers,
Geoff