[Samba] samba4 internal dns on reboot

Hisham Attar hashi825 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 22:16:14 MDT 2013

Hi all,

Im a bit new to linux

I've setup samba 4.0.4 as a PDC using the samba internal dns on ubuntu
12.10 and all is working well. with exception of one issue
On reboot I cant ping hostnames local to my dns on the PDC but I can
reslolve them with the internal dns fine. I can also ping external
hostnames from the PDC though. on the PDC it will just take a while to
display host not found after pinging a hostname resolved by the DNS (I can
ping whatever is in /etc/hosts fine)

On the clients pointing to the DNS server they are able to ping the
hostnames fine.

The catcher is I can ping all internal dns hostnames after service
networking restart on the Samba PDC.

What could be stopping it from allowing it to ping hostnames it can resolve?
Also for it to work I have to restart the whole service, not just a ifdown
ifup

Thanks