[Samba] Weird, sudden 3.4 problem.

Don Krause dkrause at optivus.com
Thu Apr 11 13:18:46 MDT 2013

On Apr 11, 2013, at 12:08 PM, Jeremy Allison wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 12:01:02PM -0700, Don Krause wrote:
>>

>> [homes]
>>       admin users = %S
>
> Having admins users = %S seems strange. Is this what you want ?
>
>       admin users (S)
>
>           This is a list of users who will be granted administrative privileges on the share. This means that they will do all
>           file operations as the super-user (root).
>
>           You should use this option very carefully, as any user in this list will be able to do anything they like on the
>           share, irrespective of file permissions.
>

> Jeremy.

We had a similar problem when we migrated to Win 7 back in 2010. At that time, shares from [homes] were viewable, but
unwritable with "valid users = %S" so we switched to "admin users = %S" and all was well.

We only have this on the [homes] shares. And this is also the affected users u*ix home, they can do what ever they want anyway,
so it seemed a reasonable risk.

Thanks!

--
Don Krause