[Samba] Samba4 AD DC using s3fs an OpenIndiana/Illumos/Solaris

Henner Gratz hpg at uni-bremen.de
Thu Apr 11 05:10:03 MDT 2013

Hello!

I've just built my first samba4 (4.0.5) on an OpenIndiana machine
without any problems.
But when it comes to the provision step the problems begin. Everything
is fine, if I
call samba-tool with the --use-ntvfs option. But I want to use samba4
with s3fs because
of the support for newer SMB protocol versions.

But when I call samba-tool without --use-ntvfs option I got the following:

root at openindiana:~# /usr/local/samba/bin/samba-tool domain provision
Realm: domain.local
  Domain [domain]:
  Server Role (dc, member, standalone) [dc]:
  DNS backend (SAMBA_INTERNAL, BIND9_FLATFILE, BIND9_DLZ, NONE)
[SAMBA_INTERNAL]:
  DNS forwarder IP address (write 'none' to disable forwarding)
[134.102.20.20]: none
Administrator password:
Retype password:
ERROR(<class 'samba.provision.ProvisioningError'>): Provision failed -
ProvisioningError: guess_names: 'realm=WIWI.LOCAL' in DOMAIN.LOCAL must
match chosen realm '/usr/local/samba/etc/smb.conf'!  Please remove the
smb.conf file and let provision generate it
   File
"/usr/local/samba/lib/python2.6/site-packages/samba/netcmd/domain.py",
line 398, in run
     use_rfc2307=use_rfc2307, skip_sysvolacl=False)
   File
"/usr/local/samba/lib/python2.6/site-packages/samba/provision/__init__.py",
line 1978, in provision
     sitename=sitename, rootdn=rootdn)
   File
"/usr/local/samba/lib/python2.6/site-packages/samba/provision/__init__.py",
line 597, in guess_names
     raise ProvisioningError("guess_names: 'realm=%s' in %s must match
chosen realm '%s'!  Please remove the smb.conf file and let provision
generate it" % (lp.get("realm").upper(), realm, lp.configfile))

I know that samba uses POSIX ACLs while OpenIndiana/ZFS uses NFSv4 ACLs,
but I hoped
that there is a way to configure samba4 to work with s3fs on Solaris
machines as well.
Unfortunately I wasn't able to find anything about this topic with
google and friends.
Does somebody on this list know more about it?

Thank you very much for any advice in advance!

Regards,

     Henner