[Samba] classicupgrade from LDAP - failed to find Unix account for machine account

David Adam zanchey at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Thu Apr 4 01:30:52 MDT 2013

Hi all,

We have a somewhat crufty Samba 3 PDC NT-style domain backed on to an
OpenLDAP server that we use for both Linux and Windows 7 authentication,
thanks to the magic of ldapsam and smbk5pwd.

I am investigating the feasability of moving to Samba 4 and have tried
upgrading with the classicupgrade tool in both the Samba 4.0.0 packages in
Debian unstable and also with GIT v4-0-stable (b341371).

The current roadblock is that a machine account produces an error in the
migration:

init_sam_from_ldap: Failed to find Unix account for CICHLID$
ldapsam_getsampwnam: init_sam_from_ldap failed for user 'CICHLID$'!
ERROR(<class 'passdb.error'>): uncaught exception - Unable to get user
information for 'CICHLID$', (-1073741724,No such user)

Notably all of our Linux machines joined to the domain have posixAccount
credentials, but the Windows machines do not.

The LDAP entry for this machine is:
dn: uid=CICHLID$,ou=Computers,dc=ucc,dc=gu,dc=uwa,dc=edu,dc=au
objectClass: sambaSamAccount
objectClass: account
displayName: CICHLID$
sambaAcctFlags: [W          ]
sambaNTPassword: {elided}
sambaPwdLastSet: 1364267120
sambaSID: S-1-5-21-3342141748-1574249315-1264630062-1075
uid: CICHLID$

The entries for all our Windows 7 machines look similar.

The Linux machines all also have a posixAccount objectClass with the
appropriate attributes.

Importantly, we have ldapsam:trusted set in our Samba 3 config, and with
the add machine script set to:
"/usr/sbin/cpu -C /etc/cpu/cpu-samba.conf useradd -d /dev/null -o %u"
(where cpu-samba.conf sets the default container to the Computers OU,
disables the home directory and shell, and sets the GID to the computers
group).

Any suggestions? I am particularly curious as to why the add machine
script doesn't appear to be doing anything for Windows machines joined to
the domain, and why the classicupgrade script is trying to look for user
account details for machine accounts.

Thanks,

David Adam
zanchey at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au