[Samba] Recomendations for working with existing DNS setups

Chris Smith smb_77 at chrissmith.org
Wed Apr 3 13:05:23 MDT 2013

On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 7:05 PM, Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org> wrote:
>> If I could change the subject somewhat, I am also not clear on how to
>> configure SAMBA4 and the DNS server if my network has an existing DNS
>> server on another machine and I don't really want to move it. The DNS
>> server is a stock install of bind from the distro's repository:
>> bind-9.8.2-0.17.rc1.el6_4.4.x86_64
>
> Samba must locally host it's own DNS domain, on the Samba 4.0 AD DC.
>
> You may wish to have your existing BIND instance forward the Samba 4.0
> subdomain to Samba using a zone type of 'forward'.

I've been wondering...
Do the Windows clients, if they aren't sharing anything, actually need
DNS resolution?
Could Samba just host the DNS for the SRV (and other "special")
records as a subdomain and therefore have all queries go to another
DNS server which, for the special subdomain, forwards only those
requests to the Samba server?

Thanks,

Chris