[Samba] Internal DNS CNAME not working

Wayne Andersen waynea at clima-tech.com
Tue Apr 2 12:41:40 MDT 2013

I upgraded to 4.0.4 and still did not have any success with CNAME records.
As it turns out the problem was the syntax I was using to create the
records.
You need to include the full domain name and the period at the end.

I think the samba-tool should validate these CNAME records when adding.
Does anyone think that this raises to the level of a bug?

<bad>
bin/samba-tool dns add 127.0.0.1 mydomain.com my-server CNAME samba-001 -Uadministrator

<good>
bin/samba-tool dns add 127.0.0.1 mydomain.com my-server CNAME samba-001.mydomain.com. -Uadministrator

Wayne Andersen
System Administrator
Clima-Tech Corporation
208-947-1849