[Samba] SAMBA4: pdbedit not changing SID

Gregory Sloop gregs at sloop.net
Mon Apr 1 18:04:10 MDT 2013

ssme> If I could change the subject somewhat, I am also not clear on how to configure
ssme> SAMBA4 and the DNS server if my network has an existing DNS server on another
ssme> machine and I don't really want to move it. The DNS server is a stock install
ssme> of bind from the distro's repository:
ssme> bind-9.8.2-0.17.rc1.el6_4.4.x86_64

I'd guess the easiest way would be to setup the Samba AD domain as a
subdomain of the existing DNS domain. Say
"samba.third-level.somedomain.com"

Then for queries for "samba.third-level.somedomain.com" the exiting
DNS server could forward them to the Samba AD running the
Internal_Samba_DNS, and for queries outside
"samba.third-level.somedomain.com" the Samba4 AD could send them to
the existing DNS server.

The Samba AD must have it's own DNS, either the Samba_Internal or
Bind9_DLZ.

[I've not heard of anyone doing a Samba4 setup with DNS completely
external to the Samba4 AD hardware, though perhaps it's possible - but
I'd guess one would be better off partitioning the two - DNS related
to the Samba domain and DNS outside of it.)

HTH - I'm no expert, but that's the way I've seen it done [and done it
myself] and that seems the most straight-forward to my way of thinking.

-Greg