[Samba] Samba4 spawns many /usr/sbin/smbd --configfile

Michael Wood esiotrot at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 09:57:32 MDT 2012

Hi

On 26 September 2012 17:18, Caleb O'Connell
<caleb at privacyassociation.org> wrote:
> I have no idea why, occasionally one of my samba4 servers won't respond to my RSAT tools on windows 7.  I check the server and when I do a   ps -aux  I see many lines
> just like the following:
>

> root     28073  0.0  0.0   2132    52 ?        S    00:11   0:00 /bin/sleep 999999999
[...]

This indicates that Samba has crashed and has called "sleep 999999999"
as the panic action.

This is to allow you to attach a debugger to the parent process and
get a stack trace (assuming you compiled with ./configure.developer).

You should be able to do something like this:

Use "ps axl" to get the parent process ID (PPID) of one of the sleep
processes.  (e.g. 12345)

Then:

# gdb /usr/local/samba/sbin/samba
(gdb) attach 12345
(gdb) bt full

That might tell the Samba developers what caused the crash.

> I usually just reboot that server and it's all good again.
>
> I'm using samba4 beta6 I believe on this machine.

Run /usr/local/samba/sbin/samba --version to get the exact version.

--
Michael Wood <esiotrot at gmail.com>