[Samba] Reverse Lookup Zone

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Sep 25 00:00:21 MDT 2012

On Mon, 2012-09-24 at 16:47 -0600, Zane Zakraisek wrote:
> I've compiled, installed, and set up the first Samba release candidate
> three times this last week, and every time I've noticed that the provision
> step is not creating a Reverse Lookup Zone. It creates a Forward Lookup
> Zone with all the A records of the test clients that I join, but there's no
> Reverse Lookup Zone for the client's PTR records. When I was using the BIND
> DNS server,I had an operational Reverse Lookup Zone. Is this how it should
> be?

Provision won't create the reverse zone, as there really isn't anything
it can do - it doesn't know the full scope of your network, nor does it
know if it even should.

This applies to both solutions - any reverse zone you had before was not
created by provision.  You should be able to add a reverse zone with the
DNS management tools, but I don't know if this has been explored
particularly much yet.

Andrew Bartlett