[Samba] Samba 4 and AD sites

Matthieu Patou mat at samba.org
Fri Sep 21 10:55:13 MDT 2012

On 09/21/2012 12:50 AM, Ben Metcalfe wrote:
> Is site support on the road map? Very useful for WAN-connected branch
> offices with local servers, or doing manual load-balancing with cloud
> servers.
Note that client that are site aware (ie. windows xp, 7, 8) will still
be able to take advantage of our current site implementation as they
will go in the closest DC.

I think next version (4.1) will improve this situation but before 4.1 we
have to ship 4.0 ...

Of course patches are welcome.

Matthieu.
> On 21 Sep 2012 07:34, "Matthieu Patou" <mat at samba.org> wrote:
>
>> On 09/19/2012 12:02 PM, Kristofer wrote:
>>
>>> I have several Samba 4 AD controllers set up at multiple sites.
>>>
>>> I set up sites and subnets.  We have several /24's at each site, but each
>>> site is dedicated a /16, so I set up the Sites & Subnets using the /16's.
>>>
>>> However, when I log into any system that is joined to the AD domain, it
>>> is using a DC at a different site.  There doesn't seem to be any
>>> consistency to it, but it seems that the Sites & Subnets are not working
>>> correctly.
>>>
>> Samba didn't comply too much with sites, it means that it contacts DCs in
>> other sites as if they were in the same site.
>>
>> --
>> Matthieu Patou
>> Samba Team
>> http://samba.org