[Samba] Samba4, DHCP, & BIND DLZ

Rowland Penny rpenny at f2s.com
Fri Sep 21 03:38:00 MDT 2012

On 21/09/12 00:55, Jeff wrote:
> (2) I need to ensure that DHCP is playing nicely with samba4.  How are DNS updates from the DHCP server propagated to samba4??  I've changed my BIND so that it no longer uses zone files for the local domain. Instead it uses the bind9 dlz driver that came with samba4.  If I understand correctly, this means that bind will now pass queries about the local domain off to samba.  So samba must be updated whenever a new DHCP lease is granted by the dhcp server.  Does the DLZ driver handle this, or does the DHCP server need to be configured to cause these updates to go directly to samba??
>

> Thanks,
> Jeff

Hi, you could start here:

http://blog.michael.kuron-germany.de/2011/02/isc-dhcpd-dynamic-dns-updates-against-secure-microsoft-dns/

I did have a variant of this working on Ubuntu 12.04 with Bind 9.9.1,
dhcp & samba4 beta8 but had problems when I moved to samba RC1 & the
internal dns.
The problem turned out to be, although the script updated dns it always
returned an error, so it seemed not work, I just rewrote the script to
check another way.

Rowland

believed to be clean.