[Samba] Windows 8 Pro no domain logon possible

Roland Schwingel roland.schwingel at onevision.com
Thu Sep 20 03:30:23 MDT 2012

Hi....

Some days ago I installed windows 8 pro from MSDN on one of my machines.
I got a serious problem with it. I cannot logon as domain user.

I first tried joining my domain from win8 with an unchanged win8
installation. This did fail. Afterwards I applied the usual windows 7
registry patches to allow a samba domain join and rebooted. Afterwards I
could join my domain with no trouble. I rebooted and tried to log in as
domain user. No chance. It fails.

In the windows eventviewer I can find a message from Netlogon about a
missing RPC server and that it cannot create a secure session with the
domain controller (translated from german).

In the samba log I can find this:
[2012/09/20 10:03:56.934783,  0]
rpc_server/netlogon/srv_netlog_nt.c:976(_netr_ServerAuthenticate3)
   _netr_ServerAuthenticate3: netlogon_creds_server_check failed.
Rejecting auth request from client DEVINTEL-2 machine account DEVINTEL-2$

My PDC is running samba 3.6.6 with smb2 enabled. My samba is ldap
backed. The trust account looks as it should when I look into the
informations.

I already had the same problems with the release preview of windows 8
some weeks ago (at that time my pdc was still 3.6.3). All versions of
windows 8 before the release preview did work without trouble.

Does anyone have the same problems?
Has anyone already got a working windows 8 pro in a domain?

This is very annoying. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Roland