[Samba] reverse dns zone managed by samba4

Hleb Valoshka 375gnu at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 08:24:12 MDT 2012

On 9/13/12, Kai Blin <kai at samba.org> wrote:
>> While it's possible to create reverse zone in samba4 directory, it's
>> impossible to update it the same way as forward zone.
> Why? How did you create the zone, how did you try to update it, and what
> exactly happens?

I've found the problem. My order of actions was:

1) add grant entry into named.conf.update.static which allows update of PTR
1a) wait until new named.conf.update appear
2) add reverse zone using w2k3 tools
3) try to add PTR using `nsupdate -g` (NOTAUTH)

Logs says that problem not in samba_dlz but in bind itself.

With additional step "2a) /etc/init.d/bind reload" update will succeed.

May bind sh'ld be reloaded by samba itself on new zone addition.