[Samba] Share working with IP not with hostname

Gary Dale garydale at torfree.net
Wed Sep 12 10:20:59 MDT 2012

On 10/09/12 01:52 PM, Nitin Thakur wrote:
> hi guys
>
> I managed to setup the share. I am able to access the share with IP address, but as soon as I try to do it via hostname, I get a user name and password pop up, which always fail to authenticate. Any setting I am missing?
>
> Thanks
>
> nitin

I'm guessing you have a recent Windows client. Try the settings at
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee681622%28v=ws.10%29.aspx
(there's also a similar thing on the Samba.org site but I can't find it
right now). However, I do remember that there are two registry keys that
need to be set/changed with Windows 7. After that, everything works.