[Samba] Share working with IP not with hostname

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 09:37:48 MDT 2012

On 09/10/12 13:52, Nitin Thakur wrote:
> hi guys
>
> I managed to setup the share. I am able to access the share with IP address, but as soon as I try to do it via hostname, I get a user name and password pop up, which always fail to authenticate. Any setting I am missing?
>
> Thanks
>
> nitin

What version of Samba?

My guess is there is some sort of name lookup mismatch.    Are you using
a domain or workgroup?  Are you using WINS?  Are you using DNS?    If
the samba server is the WINS server you should be able to "cat wins.dat"
and "tdbdump wins.tbd" to verify that the names are the same.   In
smb.conf, does the samba server netbios name match the DNS name?

What is the client OS?

The only other thing that might be happening is that the client and
server are mismatching on using NTLM vs NTLM v2.  The samba logs should
show that.   I could NOT get NTLMv2 to work on my samba servers I had to
explicitly disable it in smb.conf.