[Samba] smbd starts but terminates with - failed to receive smb request

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Mon Sep 10 17:28:55 MDT 2012

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 11:27:32AM -0700, Scott Classen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I start smbd interactively from the command line and then attempt to issue an smbtree command from another terminal and smbd immediately terminates.
>
> Here is the output. It looks like the initial authentication is working, but the termination happens after "string_to_sid: SID root is not in a valid format"
>
> Any idea what might be going on here?

That's expected. smbtree expects to be able to open multiple
connections to the IPC$ share. When you're running smbd -i
you only get one smbd and when get_workgroups() has completed
in smbtree the connection is abandoned and will time out (it
really should properly close it, but that's a patch for
another day).

Jeremy.