[Samba] Connection fails with Server/Client Signing = Mandatory

Bill Chockla chockla at us.ibm.com
Wed Sep 5 10:06:30 MDT 2012

Hello,
When I add "server signing = mandatory" to my smb.conf file (AIX V6.1,
6100-04-11-1140 running Samba v3.6.5) that has "encrypt passwords = no", my
windows client no longer can connect. It fails with system error 64.

The windows system is running XP vers 2002 with service pack 3. The
security settings are set to:
	Microsoft network client: Digitally sign communications (always)
		Disabled
	Microsoft network client: Digitally sign communications (if server
agrees)			Enabled
	Microsoft network client: Send unencrypted password to third-party
SMB servers		Enabled
	Microsoft network server: Amount of idle time required before
suspending session	15 minutes
	Microsoft network server: Digitally sign communications (always)
		Disabled
	Microsoft network server: Digitally sign communications (if client
agrees)			Disabled
	Microsoft network server: Disconnect clients when logon hours expire
		Enabled

Like wise, when I add "server signing = mandatory" to my smb.conf file that
has "encrypt passwords = yes" (and "passdb backend = smbpasswd" with valid
id/password in the smbpasswd file), my AIX client no longer can connect.

I have added "client signing = mandatory" to smb.conf also and get the same
results (unencrypted: windows clients cannot connect. encrypted: aix
clients cannot connect).

Are there any known problems in v3.6.5 related to these connection
problems? Are there any fixes in newer releases?

I have logs with debug level 5 for the connection problem sequences if
someone needs that information. I can ftp them if someone can give me an
ftp site, id/password.
Thank you in advance for your help!
Bill Chockla