[Samba] Samba4 - Bind Config with DHCP

Joubert, Dawie dawie.joubert at rhdhv.com
Fri Nov 23 02:07:32 MST 2012

To those who will eb able to assist,

Platform: On Ubuntu 12.04 I have used the latest Git version.

I have installed isc-dhcp-server and bind9 from the plain apt repositories and have configured DHCP and BIND9 so that DHCP can update DNS entries via the hmac-md5 as so:

key rndc-key { algorithm hmac-md5; secret "XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX==";}
allow unknown-clients;
use-host-decl-names on;
log-facility local7;

zone lab.rhdhv.local. {
	primary localhost;
	key rndc-key;
}

zone 0.168.192.in-addr.arpa. {
	primary localhost;
	key rndc-key;
}

Afterwards I downloaded the latest Samba4 from git and installed.
The provision command I used was: /usr/local/samba/bin/samba-tool domain provision --realm=lab.rhdhv.local --domain=LAB --adminpass='p4$$word' --server-role=dc --dns-backend=BIND_FLATFILE

My question is thus: How can I make Samba4 update the DNS entries and allow DHCP to update the entries? Secondly, is this even necessry with the AD type domain?

Best regards,

Dawie Joubert
ITS Technologist
T +27 (0) 12 3675800 | D +27 (0) 12 367 5889 | M +27 (0) 84 589 2078 | E dawie.joubert at rhdhv.com | W www.rhdhv.co.za
SSI Engineers and Environmental Consultants (Pty) Ltd trading as Royal HaskoningDHV | Reg No. 1966/001916/07
Fountain Square, 78 Kalkoen Street, Pretoria, 0181
PO Box 25302, Pretoria, 0105, South Africa