[Samba] Samba file server using ldap backend without AD or PDC?

Brian Gold bgold at simons-rock.edu
Fri Nov 30 06:28:38 MST 2012

Hi all,

I've been using samba for a few years now on a couple of file servers with a
tdbsam backend for our user accounts. We use openldap for the vast majority
of our identity management, so I would love to be able to tie into this. We
recently started using sambaNTPassword in openldap for radius
authentication, so this is populated for most of our users now.

>From reading through some of the documentation though, I'm a bit confused as
to how this would be implemented. We don't currently have Active Directory
and don't have any samba PDC/BDCs set up. Would it be necessary for us to
have a PDC/BDC in order to use openldap as our backend?

Thanks,

Brian