[Samba] S4 Bind vs Internal DNS

Matthieu Patou mat at samba.org
Mon Nov 26 23:53:17 MST 2012

On 11/26/2012 09:09 AM, Hleb Valoshka wrote:
> On 11/26/12, Thomas Simmons <twsnnva at gmail.com> wrote:
>> What are the benefits of using BIND instead of Samba's internal DNS server?
> You can use additional resource types like SPF or SSHFP.
> You can use different views for different clients.
> It's much easier to update zone using good old shared key than using
> wrapper (isc dhcpd knows nothing about kerberos).
> Bind is known to *x admins and it's rather stable, samba's internal
> dns is new and possibly buggy :)
Well you have to take in account that the bind that you need for AD is
9.8 and that you need the dlz plugin, I'm not sure that for zone managed
by dlz you can do shared key update (from isc dhcp) you have to know
that the code for dlz is also quite new and so potentially buggy as well.

Things that you can do with bind:

* zone transfer (having slaves of your dlz managed zone, TBC)
I would say that I think that bind is more robust than samba's DNS
server but that has to be proved.

Matthieu

--
Matthieu Patou