[Samba] NIS to SAMBA4 Migration

Steve van Maanen steve at starsphere.jp
Fri Nov 23 08:38:47 MST 2012

Hello everyone,

I am trying to figure out a way to migrate NIS maps to SAMBA4 (I want to replace NIS with SAMAB4 for a Linux domain. I have researched a fair bit on the web but have not found out any solutions and was hoping I could find some help here. What I have found so far pertains to Windows implementations of Active Directory.

Here are my questions.

1) Is it possible with a default install of SAMBA4 or do I need to extend the schema?
2) I notice there is a Unix attributes tab for users, when using Active Directory users and groups to administer the Samba4 AD, but I am unable to change the properties. Is there any way I can enable this?
3) Has anyone done this and if so, can you offer me some pointers?

Many thanks!

Steve