[Samba] Samba 3.x Windows 8

Neil nwilson123 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 07:36:10 MST 2012

Hi guys,

I'm really sorry for posting this as I'm sure it's been discussed
quite a lot, but after searching(on google) for a definite up to date
answer I still can't seem to get confirmation.

I'm running my PDC using samba-3.5.4-0.83.el5_7.2 under RHEL 5.7, with
openldap-2.3.43-12.el5 with a non roaming profiles fileserver with
domain logons.

We have mixed clients, Windows XP,7, 2003, 2008 and now 1 Windows 8
Pro Laptop, a total of about 300 users.

We've tried the usual Windows 7 registry edits(after reading a few
posts) to get the Windows 8 to join the domain without any success.

I've a topic which seems to indicate disabling smb2 on the client
which has been done(according to the onsite IT guy) with no luck.

I saw  a mention of setting...

max protocol = smb2
min protocol = smb2

in the smb.conf, but not sure if this actually solves the problem. The
latest samba release via the RHEL5 repo's is 3.5.10-0.110.el5_8 so not
sure if this will even have any affect without upgrading to the latest
3.6 release.

I realise that Samba4 will have full Windows 8 support, however we are
a long way off to upgrading to Samba 4 yet.

Does Samba 3 support Windows 8 Pro machines, or is this still an ongoing issue?

Thank you.

Regards.

Neil Wilson.