[Samba] fast parallel crawling of file systems

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Sat Nov 17 21:00:02 MST 2012

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 04:27:40PM -0800, Di Pe wrote:

> If I scan a windows 2008 server I can scan many millon files in about
> 1 hour, If I do the same thing with samba it takes more than 1 day. It
> takes longer to scan to re-exported nfs share than the local share but
> not a whole lot so I must assume the bottleneck lies within samba. (I
> can also crawl the nfs mount really fast) How can I make samba fly?
> How can I improve this metadata performance? I don't care about
> stability, I just want to maximize performance. We don't have a slow
> or a badly configured network.

Log a bug and upload a2  wireshark traces. One to Windows, one
to Samba. Not promising we can fix anything but at least we
can then see what the difference might be. Remove NFS from
the equation completely, just upload local file traces please.

> # performance enhancements
> strict locking = no

Remove the 2 settings below. They are smb.conf voodoo bullsh*t :-).
Haven't been needed for about 10 years and removing them will almost
certainly help. Don't try and tune TCP better than the kernel, it
knows what it's doing.

> max xmit = 65535
> socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_RCVBUF=65536 SO_SNDBUF=65536

Jeremy.