[Samba] Is it possible to change the root/Administrator user to another username?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Nov 16 15:26:44 MST 2012

On Fri, 2012-11-16 at 14:12 -0500, Paul Griffith wrote:

> Thank you for the suggestions, re smbroot. I will try to give you a
> clearer picture. I understand that you looking into a black box and
> trying to help. Thank you for that!
>
> We have a home grown passdb module, it talks to our home grown user
> database.  The original developer of the plugin and the user database
> has moved on but we have managed to keep things working without any
> major issues, until now.
>
> Recently we have been having more issues with the plugin and the user
> database. What has been happening is that some of the connections to the
> user database are hanging around for days at a time. This seems to
> create a condition where the other incoming connections are getting blocked.
>
> When I did a strace on one of the hanging processes/connections it was
> giving the following error message:
>
> udb_cmd: result: [error] [record root:user does not exist]
> udb_to_sam: record [root:user] does not exist
>

> That is when I thought that adding the root user might help the
> situation. If the root user existed, the error would go away and then
> maybe the connection could be completed normally and closed.

So, did adding root there help?

> I understand this is our own custom code we added to Samba and I
> certainly don't expect anyone to fix our code. I hope that gives you a
> better picture.

Thanks, it certainly does.  In the future, given your special situation
you really do need to include this much detail in your original post.

Anyway, there have been a number of increased requirements on passdb
modules over the years, but you don't say if you have seen your problems
only on updating Samba, or if they have just grown due to other unknown
factors.

What version of Samba are you using?

As speculation, upgrading to Samba 4.0 might help, as (partly in
reaction to this kind of thing) we have tried to reduce how often we ask
for a system and root token.  It might just happen to reduce the demands
on your backend to a level where it doesn't break down.

I hope this helps,

Andrew Bartlett