[Samba] config a share named "Global", not "global"

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Nov 16 03:38:07 MST 2012

On Fri, 2012-11-16 at 00:52 +0100, Thomas Jung wrote:
> Hello,
>
> in my network I have on every (Windows) Client a share named "Global"
> (with a capital first letter "G", not "g")
> I tried to do this with samba, but it doesn't work.
>
> How can I config such a share name "Global"?
> Think it is a problem, because of the "global" config at the top of
> the smb.conf file, but the share should be "Global" not "global"
>
> Does anybody knows how to solve such a problem?

Find and change:

#define GLOBAL_NAME "global"

#define GLOBAL_NAME2 "global"

to whatever you need to change it to.  The header file it is in for 4.0
rc is lib/param/loadparm.h, but it's probably in source3/include/local.h
in 3.x releases.

However, doing so makes it very difficult for whoever has the job of
supporting the result, so make sure you *document* it very clearly for
whoever comes after you, or has to provide emergency support.

Andrew Bartlett