[Samba] Is it possible to change the root/Administrator user to another username?

Günter Kukkukk linux at kukkukk.com
Thu Nov 15 20:08:31 MST 2012

Am Freitag, 16. November 2012, 03:00:11 schrieb Andrew Bartlett:
> On Thu, 2012-11-15 at 08:44 -0500, Paul Griffith wrote:
> > Hi Andrew,
> >
> > The 'username map' option isn't exactly what I am looking for. That
> > doesn't solve my issue. We have a home grown backend with a custom Samba
> > plugin. The original writer has moved on and I am faced with solving a
> > issue that might be solved if I could replace Samba query for the root
> > user with something else. At least that what it looks like from where I
> > am sitting.
>
> You are going to need to give many more details of what you are actually
> trying to do, rather than how you think you might fix it.  Then we can
> probably give you some sensible advise.
>
> "root" isn't hard-coded anywhere in Samba, but uid 0 is special in unix
> and in Samba.
>
> Andrew Bartlett

Paul,

just a further note on what Andrew is saying here with
"uid 0 is special in unix and in Samba".

You can create a new *nix user e.g. named "smbroot" with "useradd ..... -u 0 smbroot"
to assign him the uid 0".
This cmd useradd is sometimes named adduser and might take different arguments.
Sample (done as root):
  useradd -d /nodir -s /bin/false -u 0 smbroot
This created user doesn't even have a *nix homedir and a login shell - but has
otherwise the same rights as root.
But choose the options you like - at least uid 0 must be set.

Then you can add this new user to the samba user database.

  smbpasswd -a smbroot

Cheers, Günter

Surely more detailed info is needed from your side.