[Samba] Is it possible to change the root/Administrator user to another username?

Paul Griffith paulg at cse.yorku.ca
Wed Nov 14 08:44:53 MST 2012

Greetings Samba users,

In the process of setting up Samba, one of the item you need to need is add a root user to the samba password database.

I was wondering if it is possible to change the name of the Samba root/Administrator user to another user, like smbroot ?

I checked the 'username map' option in the man pages, but it doesn't appear to do what I want. From the man page it appears that I can map UNIX to Windows mappings. I was hoping to find something that says 'use smbroot instead of root'.

Best Regards,
Paul