[Samba] Secondary DNS - samba 4 domain

Amitay Isaacs amitay at gmail.com
Thu May 31 05:31:45 MDT 2012

Hi Ryan,

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 1:36 PM, Ryan Whelan <rcwhelan at gmail.com> wrote:
> I was able to get dns to replicate from the first to the second DC.  Its
> working well- except I can't create records on the second machine.  Should I
> be able to?  DomainDnsZone and ForestDnsZone are replicating both
> directions.
>
> When i try; I get WERR_INTERNAL_DB_ERROR.  Is there a way to verify the
> structure of the DBs on the second machine?  samba-tool dbcheck returns
> without issue.
>
> root at SMB2:/usr/local/samba# bin/samba-tool dns add -Uadministrator smb2
> cngtest.local tester A 192.168.0.250
> Password for [CNGTEST\administrator]:
> ERROR(runtime): uncaught exception - (1383, 'WERR_INTERNAL_DB_ERROR')
>   File
> "/usr/local/samba/lib/python2.6/site-packages/samba/netcmd/__init__.py",
> line 160, in _run
>     return self.run(*args, **kwargs)
>   File "/usr/local/samba/lib/python2.6/site-packages/samba/netcmd/dns.py",
> line 1055, in run
>     None)
>
> It errors out in the MS server admin tools as well.

Check the DNS records using ldbsearch.

 # ldbsearch -H /path/to/private/dns/sam.ldb -b
"DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=cngtest,DC=local"  "(objectclass=dnsNode)"
--show-binary

This should dump all the DNS records and the details of each type of
record. Can you confirm the output is similar to the output from the
first DC?

WERR_INTERNAL_DB_ERROR is caused by missing SOA record. You can verify
with following command:

 # samba-tool dns query smb2 cngtest.local @ ALL -U administrator

Amitay.