[Samba] Secondary DNS - samba 4 domain

Ryan Whelan rcwhelan at gmail.com
Wed May 30 18:09:05 MDT 2012

I was able to get the DomainDnsZone and ForestDnsZone replicated to the
second machine.  I ran the samba_upgradedns script and it created the
private/dns dir and populated it with with the ldbs.  Bind starts fine with
the dlopen.  However, bind fails to resolve anything. Trying to do a zone
transfer (via `dig`) from the second machine fails- looking at the log, it
says the zone has no SOA.  However, running `samba-tool dns query smb2
cngtest.local cngtest.local SOA` returns:

  Name=, Records=0, Children=0
  Name=_msdcs, Records=0, Children=0
  Name=_sites, Records=0, Children=1
  Name=_tcp, Records=0, Children=4
  Name=_udp, Records=0, Children=2
  Name=DomainDnsZones, Records=0, Children=2
  Name=ForestDnsZones, Records=0, Children=2
  Name=smb1, Records=0, Children=0
  Name=tester, Records=0, Children=0

If i try to resolve a single host (via `dig`) returns SERVFAIL.  I've tried
restarting both bind and samba. It didn't help.